Based on the belief that carers are vital partners in the provision of mental health and social care services, the Carers Trust leads on and operates a formal Triangle of Care membership scheme, for services to improve their practice of working with carers.
The Triangle of Care offers key standards and resources to support the partnership between service user, professionals and carers to promote safety, support recovery and sustain wellbeing.
It includes 6 key standards for services:
1) Carers and the essential role they play are identified at first contact or as soon as possible thereafter.
2) Staff are ‘carer aware’ and trained in carer engagement strategies.
3) Policy and practice protocols re: confidentiality and sharing information are in place.
4) Defined post(s) responsible for carers are in place.
5) A carer introduction to the service and staff is available, with a relevant range of information across the care pathway.
6) A range of carer support services is available.
Find out more about the Triangle of Care scheme, if your local services are involved, and also read best practice examples.